Samstag, 3. Januar 2015

Repository updated for Raspberry Pi and migration to Cubietruck started

Hello,

currently my +Raspberry Pi compiles the packages to the latest version available. (Update from 01.01.2015)

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to migrate from +Raspberry Pi  to my new Cubietruck. I decided to upgrade to a new SBC because the Cubietruck has more power (2 GB Ram instead of 512MB, ARMv7 instead ARMv6 a.s.o.)

For the Cubietruck I decided to go the debootsrap way for a debian image and followed these instructions :
After that I had an amazing fast boot sequence on my "truck". :-) 
I had to fix an  issue on my host because the module "binfmt_misc" was not integrated in my kernel which I compiled myself.

The main difference beetween Raspberry Pi and the Cubietruck is the CPU.
Debian is available for ARMv7 CPUs as "armhf" and for ARMv6 CPUs as "armel" (soft float). The difference is the performance. If you use "armel" on the Raspberry Pi you will loose lots of performance, that's why the guys from Raspbian created their own repository for ARMv6 and "hard float". They compiled nearly every package for the Pi and I did that for the +Kolab packages.

The debian-armhf repository does not contain all of the packages which are necessary for the Kolab installation so my "truck" is compiling all the stuff as well. :-)

Greetz
Andreas

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen